html, styled e-mail vs. plain text (was: I agree. LKS)

At 12:30 AM -0700 12/17/1999, Jim Green wrote:
Dan, et al, we _understand_ the rules -- this is not at issue. But we feel
that the rules need updating.

Who are "we"? The neo-baroques?

While they were marginally OK in years
past, currently we need to prepare to take the next step -- a step which is
essentially inevitable.

How can things on this list be inevitable if we set our own rules? If we
decide we want plain easy-to-read text, who can make us muck it up with
html or funky styles?

Yes, some might experience some pain, but sooner
or later that experience will come.

Only if we agree to it.

And for some it is now -- some Outlook
people just can't figure out how to defeat styled messages

Hmmm....if the people in question are smart, then the program must be
stupid. I could suggest a better e-mail program.

and publishers
of upcoming readers show little tolerance for resistance to progress, so
like it or not we will see HTML on the list.

I wonder if some are missing an important point: plain 7-bit ASCII is not a
new or different standard incompatible with html or styled text, it is a
subset of it. Those of us who are considerate of others and who desire to
communicate more than impress (or sell something) will continue to be able
to send plain text for the foreseeable future.

And why not? The arguments against them are mostly spurious.

I disagree. Usually on e-mail lists the content is king, not the format.
The content is in the text, the plain 7-bit ASCII text, not in the colors
and fonts and sizes that obfuscate things. On rare occasions where
formatting is important (like equation typesetting), it is better to put it
in TeX.dvi (if the source TeX directly in the e-mail won't do), pdf, or on
a real web page and e-mail the URL.

The difficulties are usually easily defeated.

But there are no benefits to changing. Why mess things up just for the
sake of doing something new? Are you one of those people who has to have
the very newest beta of every program in the world? Some of us like to be
convinced there are actual benefits to a proposed "upgrade."

The extra bandwidth is nowhere near as great as the off list verbiage.

That doesn't make it inconsequential.

Readers are free for PCs & Macs and cheap for mainframes.

True, but..... the whole point of e-mail lists like ours is communication.
Let's not lose sight of that. Up to the present, and, IMHO, for a least
another few years in the future, communication is best facilitated by plain
text. Not only does it get the message across, but it is also the common
denominator for e-mail programs of all kinds.

But as I said in a previous post, Vcards are silly and just a pesky bother
and attachments remain too dangerous for now, so we agree about them.

Hey, at least we agree on one thing!

Dan, if not now, then under what conditions should HTML be accepted in the
rules. Yes, Luddites will say "never", but they are Luddites.

I'm _happy_ to be a Luddite on this issue. In general, I'm a reasonably
savvy computer user (I'd never use anything as primitive as Windows :), and
I've been e-mailing with mainframe programs and local clients for 15 years.
I own, use, and love the best e-mail client there is; it is certainly
_capable_ of styled text, but I turn that feature off. People who are
against html and styled e-mail are not necessarily computer neanderthals.

And "never" is a very long time. Possibly the time will come when I will
agree that html is a common denominator; and maybe by then I will be
convinced that it provides some new benefits. But I don't think that time
is soon.

Cheers,
Larry