Re: PHYS-L Attachments (was: I agree. LKS)

For once I agree with Jim--at least about the HTML*. ;-)

Rick

*However attachments are a real problem for those getting the list in digest
form (they are not incorporated into the digest) and there is the continuing
scare about attachments containing viruses. I think the digest creator can
deal with the HTML to plain text conversion (although fancy formatting will
be lost). I would also think that listserve software would now have the
capabilities of dealing with HTML and even attachments in order to create
digests--but don't know that for a fact.

Rick and Jim:

While I understand your frustration with the technical aspects of posting
HTML and v-card mail to PHYS-L I have requested that users follow a set
of what I feel are reasonable guideline for PHYS-L postings which turns
these things off. See http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/PHYS-L and
http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/danmac/aug99listsmanu/

You are right; LISTSERV SHOULD be able to deal with this and my sources always
promise that technical feat in the next release of the software. I'd also
like to see attachments automagically stripped, swept for virii and posted
in a separate archive. However, those days are not here yet.

In addition we have subscribers working under difficult conditions from
many countries of the world with limited access and I believe that we should
attempt to restrain these extraneous posts wherever it is reasonably
possible. Think phone lines in third world countries.

When you post to PHYS-L, you send email to more than 600 people worldwide.
All of us are busy, and most look forward to phys-l and may only be able
to receive it in digest mode. Please keep this in mind when you post. And
thank you both for your high quality posts.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner