Popular Science Reportage and Neologisms

Subscribers to a NASA news service receive periodic email on
popular topics.
Looking over a recent note, I was struck by the number of recent
coinages it contained. I snipped some of them for your inspection.

NASA Space Science News for December 14, 1999

Meet Conan the Bacterium: A radiation-resistant microbe could play a
major role in Martian exploration...

<http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast14dec99_1.htm >

... D. radiodurans growing on a nutrient agar plate. The red
color is due to carotenoid pigment.

There's that -oid ending tacked onto 'carotene', popularly held to be
an oxidative damage fixer, and part of the advice we get to increase the
orange and green components of our diet.

"Deinococcus radiodurans beats most of the constraints for survival of
life on Mars - radiation, cold, vacuum, dormancy, oxidative damage, and
other factors," said Dr. Robert Richmond, a research biologist at NASA's
Marshall Space Flight Center. With other scientists, he is investigating the
possible utility of extremophiles to serve human exploration to inhospitable
locations.

"Extremophile" - evocative of 'extreme sports' to my mind.

The Sojourner Mars Rover nuzzles up to Yogi.

'Sojourner' has been around for a while in this context. I suspect
NASA single-handedly saved the word from falling into disuse.

D. radiodurans has been dubbed a polyextremophile by Richmond,
Sridhar, and Daly.

Not just an extremophile, but a polyextremophile!

Extremophiles have been known to scientists for decades but often were
regarded a laboratory oddity. The discovery of what appears to be
nanobacteria (or nanobes, smaller than microbes) in a meteorite
from Mars (Alan Hills 84001, or ALH84001) catapulted
extremophiles into the spotlight as a model for possible
lifeforms on Mars.

The words nanobacteria or nanobes fall fresh on my ears.

"Daly has been active in developing D. radiodurans as a special model
for bioremediation to clean radioactive supersites left over from the
Cold War,"

'Bioremediation' is a word that sits well with another recent
coinage, 'supersite'.

Extremophile habitats on Earth cover a range of conditions:
temperatures near boiling or below freezing; a nearly total lack
of water, or water that ranges from alkaline to acidic or salty;
non-carbon foods; and a lack of oxygen....
The best hope is that life got started some billions
of years ago when conditions were more hospitable, and that
a few microbes adapted to extreme conditions or learned how to
hibernate below the surface.
"But if they wake up too late, they run into the ultimate
restriction, too much radiation damage that has accumulated
if it's not repaired," Richmond said.
"At that point, the population is dead."

There's a vivid paragraph - about waking up dead.

"Water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink."
Mars Pathfinder landed in what was once a flood plain

Full marks for a poetic quote - but much better to quote it accurately.
'Pathfinder' is another very evocative label for a roamer.

The ultimate step would be the popular notion of terraforming,
reshaping the environment of Mars to make it more hospitable
to humans....
... a Seabee's motto is, "The difficult we do now.
The impossible takes a little longer."

This editor has something for everybody, it seems to me.

Credits go to ....

NASA's Space Science News mail server. This is a free service.
http://science.nasa.gov/news/subscribe.htm
Linda Porter Code SD23
Science Systems Department
NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center