NRC Study on HS Science & Math Education (fwd)

Of interest?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:20:57 -0500
From: REINGOLD@Juniata.Edu
To: cur-l@hal.towson.edu
Subject: NRC Study on HS Science & Math Education

Dear CURLers, Please respond to me if you are interested, or know of someone
else who would be good. I will forward suggestions to the NRC. Thanks.
Dave

Dear Dr. Reingold,

I am working with the National Research Council (NRC) of the
National Academies. The NRC is the operating arm of the National
Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering which
provides advice to the federal government and the public on scientific
related issues of national concern.

The National Research Council is conducting a study of the mathematics
and science education of advanced students in American High Schools.
The study will focus on the two most widely recognized programs for
advanced secondary students: the Advanced Placement Program (AP)
and the International Baccalaureate Program (IB). Emphasis will be
placed on the biology, physics, chemistry, and mathematics/calculus
curricula and assessments. This study is jointly sponsored by the U.S.
Department of Education and the National Science Foundation.

I need your help to identify experts who might be interested in serving
in an advisory capacity to the main study committee. I am seeking the
names of eminent scientists, teachers, and teacher educators from the
fields of biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics who can provide
insight and perspective regarding the current state of their disciplines
as well as emerging trends that could affect curricular content or
instructional methodology at the high school and early post-secondary
levels. They will also be asked to evaluate the AP and IB curricular,
instructional, and assessment materials for their disciplines to advise
the committee about the strengths and weaknesses of these programs
for educating the ablest high school students. Do you know of anyone,
including yourself, who might be qualified to serve in this advisory role?
would greatly appreciate your suggestions so that I can collect their
CVs/resumes and contact them directly regarding the study? Please
feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Many thanks,
Marilee Shelton

Marilee Shelton, Ph.D.
National Research Council