Re: Online classes

have predicted sounds downright Orwellian to me. It's bad enough that
we have live professors lecturing to auditoriums filled with up to
1000 students, but to have a talking head doing that is a travesty on
everything that we call education. At best a class with hundreds of

Actually, there is a company called Archipelago that is doing just this, using
CD-ROMs because they don't have internet reliable bandwidth for the QT
movies of talking heads. Their course comes on several CDs which have
talking-head actors 'performing' lectures on postage-stamp-sized movies.

The product is pretty nifty as a technical feat, though I believe the
idea is a misdirected use of resources.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner