Re: Rotation problem

I'm not totally that I understand what problem you are trying to address
with your ad hoc rule (and I don't have a copy of the text), but perhaps
the following will help:

Suppose the "H" is made of 3 identical rods each with mass M and length L.
If your "system" is the two nonaxial rods, then the mass of the system is
2M and the center of mass falls by 3L/4. If your system is all three
rods then the mass of the system is 3M and the center of mass falls by
L/2. In *either* case, the gravitational potential energy decreases by
3MgL/2 and that energy shows up as rotational energy of (1/2)Iw^2 =
(1/2)(4ML^2/3)w^2 giving w = (3/2)(g/L)^(1/2).

John