Re: Top spin: Student question??

Good idea I think I will suggest he try this. If the results are as
noticeable as you suggest I will enjoy seeing the results of such an
experiment.

Cliff Parker

Joseph Bellina wrote:

Some year ago I took a black superball and painted two white stripes on it
on two perpendicular equators.
If I threw the ball so it bounced down a hall, it would alternately bounce
long and low and the short and high. Because of the white stripes it was
easy to see that on the short high bounces the ball rotated rapidly while
on the long bounces it rotated slowly.
I never did try to unpeel the observation other than to say something
about the interplay between translational and rotation kinetic energy.
This is, I think, a good demostration of the sorts of interactions people
have been referring to in this discussion.

Interactive physics anyone?

joe