Photons was COLLISION 2

John chastens as follows:

Saying "I don't understand X, therefore X does not exist" is a pretty lame
argument. It has been repeatedly used to argue against local conservation
of energy. Extending it to argue against photons is a further step in the
wrong direction.

Oh my, John, please re-read my post. I did not say that "photons" don't
exist; I said that I haven't the foggiest what a "photon" is -- and that I
don't think that anyone else does either, Given this view I have a hard
time talking about them. Now if you understand what a "photon" is please
tutor me -- and perhaps a few others on the list. Please explain why it is
that some people think that EM radiation is sometimes a wave and sometimes
a particle.

As far as I can see a "photon" is an historical invention used by Einstein
to explain the photo-electric effect. Yes, an electron is an invention
too, but _I_ am more comfortable with the concept of a real electron (as if
_anything_ were "real") than a "photon". I am more comfortable with other
phenomena as "particles" as well -- I can see pictures of them on film or
screen -- but the idea of "photons" gives me the willies.

However, if _you_ are comfortable with the idea of a "photon", I think that
is wonderful, but _I_ will have a hard time giving a clear picture of E/M
radiation and The First Law. I just feel too awkward talking with
confidence about a "photon".

I will give another view: I think that E/M radiation is something
_different_ from a particle or a wave. It is NOT that light is sometimes a
particle and sometimes a wave; it is something quite different -- which
acts so as to make us try to model it as a particle sometimes and sometimes
as a wave.

The reasonably well known analogy given by someone else (I wish I could
remember who) is that of a Martian who is preparing to visit the Earth and
learns French and German for the trip, but lands by mistake in Cleveland
(Pity!) He hears words that sound like French sometimes and sometimes like
German, but he is really hearing something quite different; although the
British are loath to call it English.

John, there is no requirement on this list that anyone actually listen to
me. (:-)

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen