Re: COLLISION 2

At 9:11 AM -0500 11/29/99, Michael N. Monce wrote:
On Sun, 28 Nov 1999, Jim Green wrote:

> Energy can be increased or decreased but it can't be "transferred".
>
> JIm

Despite you insisting on this, I still don't see how you can make
such a statement.

Webster's gives: transfer a) to convey from one place to
another: TRANSPORT, b) to cause to pass from one to another: TRANSMIT , c)
TRANSFORM, CHANGE.

A photon leaves the sun with h-nu of energy, travels through
space, strikes the surface of the earth and is absorbed by an atom.

Questions:
1) Didn't the internal energy of the sun decrease (change) by
h-nu?

2) Didn't the internal energy of the earth increase (change) by
h-nu?

3) How did this happen if the photon did not transfer the energy?
(see a) and b) and c) above).

Hey! Don't you realize YET that we're NOT talking english here! We're
trying to use PC (Pedagogically Correct) verbiage! ;-)

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936