Joule etc

The shy Leigh says --

I was going to stay out of this (hah!) but as long as I have my oar
in, let me stir it a bit more. When Joule was twirling his oar he was
increasing the entropy of the water. It is true that he was not
heating the water.

Leigh, he surely _was_ "heating" the water: It got warmer didn't it? He
just didn't have a hot plate at hand. Just a Rutherford "heated" the
cannon barrel and water bath -- to the point where the water boiled!!!

Change in entropy is not associated with an actual
process;

Of course it is! And often DS can be calculated -- eg one could calculate
the DS for the classical piston/cylinder even if the piston is plunged
rapidly. One could calculate the DS for the Joule experiments and then a
DQ -- if one were to define DQ as you suggest below. But many members of
this list would not so define it -- they want to think of DQ as due to a
temperature difference between some external thermal reservoir and the system.

It can ALSO be
..... associated with *any* hypothetical reversible process
capable of taking an identical system from the same initial to the
same final state as the system in question. All such processes will
yield the same path integrals of dQ/T, and the meaning of dQ is well
defined for the hypothetical process.

OK, I am quite willing to accept a definition of DQ as you suggest --
indeed if it has any meaning at all it must be something like this -- BUT
this is NOT how it is being envisioned in general on this list.

Jim

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen