Amplitude and pitch of sound waves

The National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) has more than 55,000
members and now claims to have a network that reaches nearly
half-a-million educators. It's motto is "To promote excellence and
innovation in science teaching and learning for all." However it has
just mailed packages of calendars for Y2000 to all of its members which
contain serious errors in physics.

On the calendar page for January 2000 there is the erroneous statement:

"Amplitude is the distance between the height of a crest
and the depth of a trough of a sound wave."

Also on the same calendar page is another incorrect statement:

"Pitch is the frequency, or the number of cycles per
second, of a sound."

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the waves of the Atlantic Ocean at Coney Island have crests and
troughs
but NOT ONE of our billions of sound waves has a crest or a
trough)..........
and (Where we can precisely measure the frequency of our sound waves
with instruments while the pitch refers to how different frequencies are
perceived by our multi-racial citizens and aliens)