Re: Thermo of Springs/Sidebar

At 01:57 PM 25-11-99 -0600, you wrote:
At 11:47 11/25/99 -0700, Jim Green wrote:
>///my question is whether there is _any_ example of a macroscopic
>reversible process other than the ideal piston in a cylinder.

This is another way of asking if there is an 100% efficient machine.
A question that came up a few weeks ago. Steel on ice or ptfe
and ball bearing races come to mind, then fluid and air bearings.

Brian, I could use more help here. In what way are these examples of near
frictionless processes thermodynamically reversible???

And BTW what is meant by "ptfe"?

But the celestial spheres seemed almost dissipationless - at least
on human timescales.

Ditto.

A gas tight piston in a smooth cylinder would
come last, I suppose, on any rational list!

We, the irrational, need more help.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen