Re: Thermo of Springs/Sidebar

At 11:47 11/25/99 -0700, Jim Green wrote:
///my question is whether there is _any_ example of a macroscopic
reversible process other than the ideal piston in a cylinder.

Isn't it odd that the entire basis for classical thermodynamics (or,
better, thermostatics) is that cylinder.

Jim Green

This is another way of asking if there is an 100% efficient machine.
A question that came up a few weeks ago. Steel on ice or ptfe
and ball bearing races come to mind, then fluid and air bearings.

But the celestial spheres seemed almost dissipationless - at least
on human timescales. A gas tight piston in a smooth cylinder would
come last, I suppose, on any rational list!

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK