NOAH's FLOOD/ancient coastline found

"Scientists have discovered an ancient coastline 550 feet below the surface
of the Black Sea, providing dramatic new evidence of a sudden, catastrophic
flood around 7,500 years ago - the possible source of the old Testament
story of Noah." So reads the first paragraph of an article in the Phoenix
Sunday paper today, reprinted from the Washington Post (it appeared
mid-week: see it on-line at washingtonpost.com, as I recall).

A few months ago I posted a book review of NOAH'S FLOOD, a new book by
oceanographers Drs. William Ryan and Walter Pittman of the Lamont-Dougherty
Lab at Columbia University. Their multi-disciplinary scientific sleuthing
since 1991 led to an expedition last summer to the Black Sea by Robert
Ballard of Woods Hole.

The article continues, "A team of deep-sea explorers this summer captured
the first sonar images of a gentle berm and a sandbar submerged undisturbed
for thousands of years on the sea floor. Now, using radiocarbon dating
techniques, analysts have shown that the remains of freshwater mollusks
subsequently dredged from the ancient beach date back 7,500 years and
saltwater species begin showing up 6,900 years ago.
Explorer Robert Ballard, who led the team that collected the shells,
said the findings indicate a flood occurred sometime during the 600-year
gap. 'What we wanted to do is prove to ourselves that it was the biblical
flood,' Ballard said in an interview last week."

The article (which is a full newspaper column in length) concludes:
"And regardless of the historical context, the science of the Black
Sea flood stands undisputed. Ryan and Pittman dated the event at 7,600
years ago, and they fixed the likely depth of the ancient coastline almost
exactly where Ballard found it.
'It feels good', Pitman said of Ballard's findings."

I'll re-post my book review. NOAH'S FLOOD is a rousing scientific detective
story and would make a terrific Christmas gift for any adult who likes
science.

Cheers,
Jane

Jane Jackson, Dir., Modeling Workshop Project
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics, ASU, Tempe, AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331. http://modeling.la.asu.edu
Genius must transform the world, that the world may produce more genius.