From: Joel Rauber [mailto:Joel_Rauber@SDSTATE.EDU]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 7:03 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: off topic (physics) on topic (education)

From the Irascible Professor:

"There is a good reason why we have traditionally viewed schools as temples;
hence, the expression temple of learning. A temple, according to my
dictionary, is "a place reserved for a highly valued function." These days
that function is being eroded and degraded by America's most pervasive and
invasive activity, commerce. If schools want to preserve themselves,
especially our colleges and universities, they must protect their unique and
invaluable character. And they must protect their students, not deliver
them over to merchandisers. By tolerating the invasion of the marketplace,
of the "moneychangers," they break faith with those whose welfare is in
their keeping."

I repeat one sentence:

A temple, according to my dictionary, is "a place reserved for a highly
valued function."

The answer to the entire IP's latest posting is that education is no longer
a highly valued function in the sense stated above. The proof is the
general debasement of education and its function as exemplified by the IP

The IP's URL, (for those who didn't get it in previous postings), is:

http://members.home.net/mshapiro2/

Joel Rauber
Joel_Rauber@sdstate.edu