From: Leigh Palmer [SMTP:palmer@SFU.CA]
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 1999 12:41 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Problem with a problem

Rick has already told you how to solve the problem. I will point
out that there is more than one solution to this poorly specified
problem. My principal objection to it, however, is that it is a
*stupid* problem. What is the point of doing this calculation?

I think that good problems in physics should motivate students to
solve them because the result will be intrinsically interesting.
This one isn't. The result I fear most is that the student will
go away from the only physics course she takes thinking that this
is what physics is.

Thus endeth the sermon.

Leigh