Re: Charge Distribution around pointed areas

Hi John, you wrote:

... Here I get a slightly different value--5.40 cm--or, in
general, .540 of the way from the center to the end.

I didn't debug the program, but it looks like Bob may be right.

Yes, I corrected my little program and I am glad that we now
agree on 5.4 cm for five beads. Your idea of doing this with
Interactive Physics was great. I do not have time to play with
it now but I guess what you did. I suppose you started with an
arbitrary positions and you waited till beads equilibrated. The
gravity was turned off and charges were assigned. You used
position meters to read the output accurately. Right? Knowing
positions you can calculate PE at once. No need to iterate till
the minimum is found, as I did. Was this what you used
Maple for?

Ludwik Kowalski