Re: Charge Distribution around pointed areas

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Ludwik,
Are you sure you have included all interaction energy terms among all
possible pairs of 5 charges?
You seem to have too few terms!

I think Bob may be right. I didn't check Ludwik's results for 4 and 5
charges before.

Ludwik wrote:

Here is a problem which should help. Four equally
charged beads can slide without friction on a horizontal
wire whose length is 20 cm. The charge on each bead
is 10 microC. Two beads are immobilized at the ends
of the wire, the other two are at a distance x from
the center of the wire. How does the potential energy
depend on x? Treat beads as point charges.

The answer --> PE has a minimum of 45.01 J at
x=3.333 cm, that is when the beads are equidistant.

I didn't read this carefully before, but now that I have I don't see how
that could possibly be right. Indeed, I get 3.61 cm. In general, my
solution for four beads gives the answer as .361 of the way from the
center to the end of the wire.

Solve the same problem for 5 beads (8 microC each). This
time three beads are immobilized, one at the center and
one at each end. Two beads are free to slide, as before.
This time the minimum PE = 66.08 J occurs at x=5.28 cm.

Here I get a slightly different value--5.40 cm--or, in general, .540 of
the way from the center to the end.

I didn't debug the program, but it looks like Bob may be right.