From: Richard Tarara [SMTP:rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU]
Sent: Friday, November 12, 1999 3:09 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Kinds of Mass

Well, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a
duck........

I guess I don't understand why we hold onto the dual nomenclature. Yes
the
conceptual origins suggested there might be a difference, but it seems
that
the experiments are pretty convincing that inertial and gravitational
mass
are identical. Why continue to speak of these separately? Are they
ever
different? For example, what is the gravitational interaction between
two
masses moving parallel to each other (relative velocities zero). Would
one
use the rest masses or the relativistic masses in GMm/R^2 (realizing
that
true relativists would probably never use the Newtonian formulation)
and
does it matter in terms of the inertial/gravitational nomenclature?

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Educational Software
Available for Download

see: www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ for details

New Win9.x and PoweMac packages available.

New versions/new content/'fixes' posted frequently.