Re: BEFORE "Negotiating" a curve.

Yes, I am more comfortable about the curve negoatiation problem
now than when it presented. Both of your presumptions, Bob, (see
below) are justified. Your second comment is very important,
the static frictional force has to do with the direction of attempted
motion rather than with v.

But that phrase a "wheel which offers unlimited resistance to any
motion other than pure rolling" is not really very different from the
phrase Brian used, "it rolls because it must". For the time being
I am satisfied but I may not be so satisfied when I face this problem
again next year. I will keep paying attention to what others have to
contribute. Thanks to all who helped so far. Rolling friction should
be explained better in textbooks, or avoided.
Ludwik Kowalski

To understand is to find a satisfactory causal relation.
To explain is to express that understanding.
To teach is to promote understanding.
Bob Sciamanda wrote:

John Denker wrote to Ludwik:
. . .There is a notion of "ideal wheel" which suffices to
answer your questions about negotiating a turn. I say
motion wheel again an ideal offers unlimited resistance
to any other than pure rolling. If this model isn't good
enough, please explain why not. . . .

Ludwik,
Forgive me for presuming, but I think you may be missing the point
that the force of "unlimited resistance to any motion other than pure
rolling" is transmitted (through the bearing) to the frame. This gives
rise to a large transverse force of static friction.

In sum, the frictional road force on the turned wheel is resolved into
tangential and transverse components by the bearing. The tangential
component affects rolling motion; the transverse component
(perpendicular to the plane of the turned wheel) is transmitted, through
the bearing, to the frame and provides a "sideways", turning force.

I think you are also misled in the assertion that the frictional force
is in the -v direction. That may be true of kinetic friction, but
static friction is in the direction opposite to any ATTEMPTED motion.
Here we have a combination of both, along with rolling friction. It is
the attempted, directly forward motion that gives rise to a large static
frictional force transverse to the plane of the turned wheel. In a FBD,
all of these external forces are shown acting at the CM, to illustrate
the LHS of F_ex=mA_cm .
Hope this helps.