Re: lightbulbs

Let's see. For Ohmic devices:
Power = V^2 over R
and therefore
R = V^2 over power

If I were designing a lightbulb, the resistance would depend on the rated
power as well as the rated voltage. I have here a bulb (rated 12v) which
is the headlight for a HO-scale model car. It puts out a tiny fraction of
a watt. I also have here a bulb (also rated 12v) from a real car. It puts
out over 100 watts.

One might even say
R = (rated V)^2 over (rated power)
and
(actual power) = (actual voltage)^2 over R
where R depends on the ratings as above, hence
(actual power) = (actual voltage over rated voltage)^2 * (rated power)

So if you try to plot R as a function of rated voltage, you will get
ill-determined results unless they all have the same rated power.

And by the way, the foregoing is a huge oversimplification because light
bulbs are enormously non-Ohmic. The resistance you measure with a digital
multimeter has very little correspondence to the ratio of actual V over
actual R under operating conditions.

I have no idea why someone would write such a foolish experiment into a
textbook. Obviously they neither tried it nor even thought about it very hard.