From: Paul O. Johnson <pojhome@FLASH.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 1999 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: delta V = I R

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

R can depend on many things, often usefully so, eg: photoresistive
devices
(like CdS) have light-sensitive resistance. Bulk materials even have
non-isotropic resistance (best described by a matrix). An Ne2 neon
bulb has
almost infinite resistance below a firing voltage (c. 75 Volts), above
which
it is almost a short circuit. A gas discharge can even have a
negative
DYNAMIC resistance (as can a tunnel diode).

Some gas sniffing detectors rely on resistance changes in the presence
of
certain gases (often as the result of a chemical reaction.

Thanks for your reply, Bob. I am familiar with these devices, but when I
asked
my question (admittedly not stated very well) I was thinking of carbon
or wire
wound resistors.

poj