Re: F=ma

Van Neie wrote:

.... I introduce the potential difference, resistance, current
relationship (no need to call it Ohm's Law!) as
I = V/R

In my mind, current plays the same role as acceleration, it is what
we "observe." The PD drives the current much as force "drives"
the acceleration. And just as mass (inertia) limits the acceleration,
resistance (electrical inertia) limits it.

Hey, it isn't perfect, but analogies never are.

I suppose that is the reason for the phrase "emf". Many
people do not like it; they prefer to call V "dop". I hope
this does not trigger another debate about forbidden words.
But is it really a useful analogy? I think so, at least at the
level of my teaching. I see no harm in it.
Ludwik Kowalski
To understand is to find a satisfactory causal relation which is
objectively correct. To explain is to express that understanding.
To teach is to promote understanding.