Re: F=ma

At 04:13 PM 11/5/99 -0500, Clarence Bennett wrote:

Or V=Ir -- potential "causes" current.

I would prefer V/R=I, to keep the conditions on the side of cause, and the
result standing alone.

Also, How about V/R => I, so to distinguish Causes from Equals.

Oooooo nooooooo. There seems to be an emerging consensus on this list that
equations have a direction of causation to them. They usually don't.

(assuming a voltage source)

But but but but there's not usually a good reason for assuming that. Not
in anything but a certain subset of trivial circuits. Even for something
as almost-trivial as a voltage divider (two resistors in series) you can't
assume that.

I say again, most laws of physics express an equivalence which is a
**bidirectional** implication.
F = ma
just as much as
ma = F
just as much as
a = F/m
et cetera.

Feynman goes on for several pages about this in _The Character of Physical
Law_. You're in for no end of grief if you get this wrong.

========================

An interestingly different story concerns definitions. If we say A is
defined in terms of B, that by no means is the same as saying B is defined
in terms of A. I write definitions as
A := B
to show the asymmetry of the relationship.

If we know that
A := B,
then we can immediately infer that
A = B
and
B = A
but not
B := A

In typical problems, some of your forces will be defined in terms of ma,
but others will not.

For instance, it would be a violation of basic rules of logic to write
F := ma
and
F := GMm/r^2
because you can't have two definitions for the same thing.

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com