Re: F=ma

At 07:02 AM 05-11-99 -0800, Leigh wrote:
I've always looked at Newton's second law as being somehow incomplete.
It does not include what I consider to be a causal element. Forces do
cause accelerations, at least that is what my intuition tells me, or I
was successfully brainwashed a long time ago.

I never disagree with Leigh -- I have not found a need to. But sometimes I
need help in understanding:

Just why is it that a "causal element' seems to be missing?

Why should I not think in terms of a net force "causing" an acceleration,
Fn=ma?

Just like W "causes" dKE in the W/E theorem?

Or just as dQ + DW "causes" a dE in the First Law.

Or V=Ir -- potential "causes" current.

BUT not like E=mc^2 which seems to be an equivalence
ie E _is_ mass -- not E "causes" mass

Maybe I am just saying when it was that I went to school.

What have I missed?? I am starting to miss things all the time these days.
Help me out here.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen