Re: L2-"Negotiating" a curve.

Leigh Palmer wrote:

Take a look at The Physics Teacher. Hewitt has drawn a diagram
with a vector labelled "centripetal force". Yes, I do understand
what is meant in that diagram. Put yourself in the position of a
student who is taking a course at that level, however. Does this
diagram help him get away from the misconception that there is a
kind of force called "centripetal"?

I think Hewitt blew it. Again.

I don't see where Hewitt blew it. We have an object (as I understand
the question) traveling at a uniform speed in a circular motion. The
net force necessary to provide this motion is toward the center of the
circle (center directed - centripetal). The acceleration of the object
is toward the center if we use the classical frame of reference to be
the earth standing still. If there were no net force the object would
continue in a straight line but in this case since the object is curving
toward the center of the circle the force is toward the center of the
circle - centripetal force.

--
Arlyn DeBruyckere
Hutchinson High School