Re: reification

Leigh has written in two posts (in part):

I guess I should apologize for letting my privately intended note slip
into the list. It wasn't harmful, at least.

No harm done.

"Neologize" is a word I have used, but in this case it was
used first by someone else - Joel, I think - in that thread.
Is it in the dictionary? I'd no idea. I've neologized myself
in the past, my favorite contribution being "empiry", a term
I use for the combination of experimental and observational
scientific results, as opposed to "theory". I find the word
very useful, well worth defining when it is needed in a
discussion.

neologize is, of course, itself a neology.

"Extant"? What's the big deal? Surely that word is in the
tenth grade vocabulary.

I'm rather afraid that Leigh is being overly optimistic here.

If you'll look back at the drivel I've been dishing out here
since the cretaceous era you will find that these words are
part of my everyday vocabulary. I'm glad you've got an on-
line dictionary and that you use it. I use paper dictionaries
and I love language. I think using English with a somewhat
greater dynamic range than that found in "USA Today" is both
uplifting and refreshing. I do have to exhort my students to
"Look it up!" from time to time, something I learned from
Julius Sumner Miller of which I heartily approve. I think it
is good for science students to open a book once in a while.

Hear Hear!!!
I suffered as a youth from parents who frequently told me to "look it up!"
And also didn't dumb down their vocabulary when talking to their kids. Its a
wonderful legacy and one teachers should bestow to their students.

I love language as well, which may explain my propensity to make perverse
neologies.

My students also know that I will gladly stop and define any
word they don't understand while I am lecturing, though they
have not done so this semester in either of my classes. I
firmly believe that in university, even teaching science
students, I ought to be using the English language at more
than the tenth grade level. They pay money for these courses;
they deserve the real thing. Many of us may not realize that
students of the arts are assumed to be improving their
vocabularies; why should science students not also improve
theirs?

Again a hardy AMEN.

BTW I'm declining to comment any further (to the relief of everyone I'm
sure) on the meaning of the word "reification". ;-)

Joel