Re: L5-To lecture or not to lecture?

OK, I like the response. However, I take exception to the phrase "lowering
my standards". My content, etc. has passed muster for tranferability to
numerous institutions. I don't see the delivery method change as lowering my
standards. I guess I have to look at it more (in this era of CPI) as
accomodating the needs of my customers.

I guess I find it undesirable to expect my students to choose me over work,
life, children, etc. In a competitive marketplace, and with the new minset
of many of our students, I either adapt my style to deliver the necessary
content in a way they want it; or, I lose them.

My last bastion of having them think and discuss is through quizzes. I give
the exact opposite from the standard "cookbook" quizzes. I make them do as
close to real world problems as possible. When they complain, I use that as
discussion to facilitate a solution process. I take a verbal lashing to
enable this type of interaction (and it IS sneaky), but it works.

Oh well, in a perfect world all these problems would get worked out. Maybe
they should say we are practicing our craft of physics education, the same
way they say physicians practice medicine.

Peter Schoch