Re: mag. force on wire?

For a good account of the charge separation explanation of
magnetic force
on
a current-carrying wire, see the relatively recent book "Electric and
Magnetic Interactions" by Chabay and Sherwood. As a magnetic
field cannot
do any work on a moving charge, the explanation for the work done by
magnetic force (e.g. electric motors) is through the work done by the
induced electric field due to charge separation on the lattice ions.

Just a comment about Chabay and Sherwood's book; in general I rather like
it; but they have some items that really really bother me.

page 559 there is a discussion of motional emf's and the force that magnetic
fields exert on moving charges. They say, and I quote:

"The magnetic force evB is a non-Coulomb force (F_NC in the discussion on
page 220 and on page 350). The work done by this force in moving an
electron from one end of the bar to the other is F_NC L = evBL."

I don't know if this is a misprint or not: but a book should never ever say
that a qv x B force does work.

Joel