From: John S. Denker <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 1999 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: single-system dQ + dW

At 07:03 PM 11/2/99 -0500, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

2) JD interprets dE=dQ+dW as a partitioning of energy CHANGES in a
system
on the basis of the properties of the final system state: eg., was the
energy increment thermalized into "Heat" ("thermal energy") so that it
changed the system entropy, or was it Work (with no regard to the
mechanism of its entry/exit into/from the system)?

I agree with Bob's summary of my thoughts on this issue.

Do John Denker's views show a disconnection between (1) academic,
textbook
thermodynamics and (2) real-world engineering practices?

That may be an important part of the story, but I would rather not word
it
quite that way. For one thing, the word "academic" has many meanings:
some pejorative, some just the opposite. So I tend to avoid the word
except in its most literal meaning, as in "academic institution".

Perhaps a better way to describe it is a disconnection between (1)
elementary, introductory thermodynamics and (2) real-world no-nonsense
thermodynamics.

Specifcally, the emphasis on
dU = dQ + dW ** for each system separately **
(as opposed to the emphasis on transfers from A to B) is important if
dissipative processes are being considered, and usually not important
otherwise.

If that's what's going on, it's a pity, because the shortcut provides
little or no simplification of the elementary case, and does all sorts
of
mischief in the real-world case.