mag. force on wire?

Greetings,

I'm about ready to cover magnetic forces on a current
carrying wire when I realized how little I understand
what's really happening. Any help would be appreciated
concerning the following:

Just how is it that the force on moving charges
"contained" in a wire is transferred to the wire
itself? I've problems with the two explanations that
seem pretty standard. That is, by collisions (with
what, exactly, and what happens at the boundary?); and
by electrostatic separation of charges (what happens
if both positive and negative charges are equally
responsible for charge flow?)

Another question: HOw can the Hall effect distinguish
hole-flow (P's) from 'N's in a semi-conductor when in
either it is electrons that are actually flowing?

Any thoughts?

:Leon

=====