Re: L5-PHYS-L Nov99 Technical posting

My intent was not to generate a rating system for Phys-L. I was only
pointing out that the statistics quoted in the technical post are not
correct.

There is far more traffic than that message claims. These statistics are
often quoted when this list is promoted and discussed. For instance, I
heard these stats quoted at AAPT in San Antonio during a cracker barrel. I
pointed out at that time that this list involved scanning more than an
average of 10 messages a day. (Perhaps some one can verify this.)

I too use the delete key to manage this traffic. It pains me to do so, but
it is necessary. I also like the humorous messages and would hate to see
people quit posting them simply to reduce traffic.

Is there a traffic problem? Perhaps. I hesitate to criticize the excellent
discussions I have been reading. I would suggest that people take a few
extra minutes before replying to a discussion. Maybe by waiting a few more
people will chime in. In this way, it might be possible to resolve the
terms/definition issues. Resulting in a traffic with fewer messages which
can contain more depth, breadth, clarity and most of all good will.

In any event this is an excellent list, which can be recommended to all with
out reservation.

Bill