Re: models and reification (was: dW turns into dQ

Joel said:
. . .I might point out that one of the unintended consequences can be
further
insight. I'd cite the example of attributing entropy to the area of the
event horizon of a black hole as an example of reifying a model, which
many
smart folks at the time warned against doing. And it turned out to have
all
sorts of significant insights. . . .

Excellent point, Joel. I would put it thus:

Models are useful, not only as an instrument for understanding the present
phenomena under investigation, but also as a springboard for speculation.
In so doing it must be cautioned that these are speculations and
extrapolations and must be subjected to rigorous theoretical and
experimental examination.

Like the implications of our mathematical models, it is awesome how often
the extrapolations of our models bear fruit.

Bob

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net