Re: Physics--Honing the Intellect

I agree I could have the students spend some time in class discussion
about how they would predict an experiment will come out, or on the
best approach to solve a particular problem.

Michael, this was an interesting post. It gives me something to think
about re some of the classes I have taught. I use a Socratic Method of
teaching (I started this way and only after ten years I found that I was
the only one doing this) -- by the third or fourth week the students see
that the only way to get a grade in the class is to come prepared and to
join the discussion -- they must show _me_ how to solve a problem, they
must explain the material to _me_ by answering _my_ questions -- phrased as
a student might ask them.

For those first few weeks many of the students clearly hate the process --
they are not used to it. But later we have good report and we all become
friends and enjoy the learning. Once in a while I will stop and think for
a moment and realize something I had not thought about before -- ie the
students see _me_ learning too.

I heartily recommend this approach,

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com