Re: dW turns into dQ

You misunderstand (ie., I was not clear):
In accordance with Jim's query, I was envisioning a problem
which involved
applying dE= dW + dQ to a real irreversible process ( to answer some
question?), and then in addition asked for the entropy change.

You have made your point clearer; I'm not sure where the differences lie,
but there are some, perhaps they are mostly philosophical.

In applying the first law to the real process the aforementioned wide
discretion is applicable in assigning dW vs dQ and thereby
determining the
final state properties.

I think the discretion is purely mathematical and not physical.
e.g.
10 = a+b

Mathematically there is lots of discretion as to what number to assign to
'a' and to assign to 'b'. But I'm unwilling at this point to say that
physical considerations (the actual process that is occurring) provide no
constraints. I think it may boil down (again radiation and convection
aside) to claiming DQ is that part of the energy transfer due to temperature
difference. DW is the other stuff.

Then, IF YOU WISH TO CALCULATE dS
directly from
the relation dS=dQ/T, then you must invent a new, reversible process
connecting the same two end states - in this calculation, dQ
is unique to
your chosen reversible (unreal) process.

An excellent way to calculate it.

I added that ,since the end states are now known, dS could
alternately be
calculated from its (presumably known) state function.

I'm not sure of the point here, yea, if you know the state function this is
better. But if you don't know the state function, you're likely to the above
first way you mention.

I also noted that for the (any) REVERSIBLE process dE=dW+TdS
applies and
dQ=TdS. I caution that this TdS is not equal to the dQ you
may have used
in applying the first law to the real irreversible process (where you
enjoyed the "wide discretion").

I'm unconvinced of the wide discretion, except in a narrow mathematical
sense you mention above.

If I may use an accounting analogy;

assets = liabilities + owner's equity

The books balance no matter how we assign numbers to the rhs; but for any
particular transaction there is a unique partitioning.

BTW, I am willing to say the partitioning may be frame dependent.

Joel