Re: dW turns into dQ

Bob wrote in part:

Yes, once you have chosen a reversible path for the calculation of
dS=dQ/T, you must correctly (and uniquely) specify dQ vs. dW (to
correctly evaluate dS this way). In such idealized quasi-static
processes, however, there is (I think) never much to quibble
about as to
what is dW and what is dQ.

As mentioned in a reply to Jim Green, I'm wondering if we really disagree.
The above is something that I think I could've written. In particular the
"once you have chosen a reversible path for the calculation of dS=dQ/T, you
must correctly (and uniquely) specify dQ vs. dW" part.

But I really think that logically it goes the other way.
Once the final
state is determined (in part by applying the first law, with wide
discretion in dW vs dQ), then the change in entropy is determined and
known from its state function - this then determines dQ=TdS. In a
reversible process it is the entropy change which defines dQ.

It strikes me that there is no wide discretion; you must partition it in the
unique way for the path you are utilizing in calculating dS. But this may
be a chicken/egg disagreement.

Relating all this back to the block sliding on the surface. Here I'd
maintain that we have a specific mechanism (path) i.e. the path is given;
and there should be a unique way to partition the dW and dQ . . .

And I guess I'd arrive at that partitioning through examing TdS somehow . .
. Any thoughts?

Joel