Re: Where are the girls? - long posting

As only a portion of a lengthy and thoughtful posting,
on Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Margaret Mazzolini wrote:

g) The way many debates are conducted on phys-l does not inspire
confidence in the diffident would-be participant - and especially in
women (not-so-totally unsubstantiated assertion No. 4) I have had
correspondence off list with at least one woman ex-participant who got
flamed because her wording of a perfectly reasonable comment about
Physics on the list was slightly loose, and was very unhappy about the
experience.

A lot of you guys have been enjoying 'full and frank' interchanges of
views about your pet debates for years, and are probably the best of
friends. However the diffident newcomer to the list is going to see the
way those debates are carried on and think twice (or 3 times) about
taking part. Certainly, even as a relative phys-l veteran, I'd rather be
interrogated by blow-torch than make a posting to phys-l about a
perennial topic like heat! I'm not suggesting that you cancel those
debates in favour of political correctness, I'm just pointing out the
impression they can make.

Margaret,

I plead guilty as charged. I would hate for anyone to feel intimidated by
the tone of the discussions that go on on phys-l and I readily acknowledge
that some of my recent postings have not been in keeping with that idea.

On the other hand, I believe that I (and most of us on phys-l) generally
do a pretty good job of reserving my (our) wrath for those who have earned
it. As a resident of phys-l for more than a decade, my record is well
established. To be sure, it contains embarrassing moments, but by and
large I'm satisfied to let it speak for itself.

I truly believe that newcomers and perennial lurkers need not greatly fear
that they will be brutalized for venturing to post contributions in good
faith. In that event I am confident that many of us would leap to their
defense.