Re: mini Y2K?

At 17:18 10/31/99 -0700, Jim Green wrote:

the crash of the Egyptian flight 990 may have occurred
precisely when its computer software made the
change from "daylight savings" to "standard" time!

Oh my, Bob, you are absolutely right -- none of the news
people have picked up on this.
OTOH, I doubt that the airlines use ET as a standard -- more likely UT --
especially an Egyptian airline. Pilots on the list do tell us.

Jim Green

Not sure of the 767 fit. It is a 'glass cockpit' airplane.
(That is to say, the principal displays are CRTs.)

Honeywell's FMS (Flight Management System) is popular with airlines
and it uses GPS - which provides a peerless Zulu time.

And so does the Rockwell/Collins FMS aboard some military
airplanes. Every commercial airplane also has a clock/stopwatch.

Flight operations are typically conducted in Zulu.
(for practical purposes, this is GMT)

As it happens, the GPS constellation changed epoch in some way
similar to the Y2K event - and some hand held GPSs came back up -
but some didn't. But that was weeks ago.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK