Re: Why do we care about heat?

The conventional name of that experiment is "the mechanical equivalent of
heat". The notion that the result of this experiment was "not heat" is
beyond unorthodox. It's beyond unconventional. It's bizarre.

Well, John, there is some evidence that _Joule_ thought it was a caloric
substance called "heat", but I hope that after the many intermittent
discussions over the years on this list, we are willing -- nay anxious --
to say "internal energy". There is also evidence which indicates that
Joule understood this.

I am not saying that many/most textbooks don't teach rather bizarre things
about the First Law.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen