Re: PseudoWork ????

At 12:28 PM 29-10-99 -0400, Bob Sciamanda (wrote:
I don't think this will do, Jim. Your model must also apply to the
limiting case (mass of earth/wall => oo)!
In this limit, the wall is stationary, but I (the pusher) still gain CM
kinetic energy from only energy sources/transformations inside myself!

Bob, I agree that one's muscular system does work in various ways on
various parts of the body -- and in so doing the energy of those parts
changes in such a way that the CM gains kinetic energy -- I really think
that we are in essential agreement here.

It is just the "movement" of energy that I am reacting to -- sometimes this
hits a nerve in Leigh or someone else -- this time the nerve was in me. I
feel strongly that, pedagogically, talking about motion/transformation of
energy from "sources" is not helpful. Although I recognize that many do it
all the time without disaster. I feel that, if we talk about Third Law
works done by the various muscular forces, the picture would be clearer.

But that is just me over here in my little corner.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen