Re: why pseudowork (NOT)

Here is a possible mechanism.
Suppose that the 2 kg block (moving initially to the right) has a little
spring attached, facing the 1 kg block . The spring is compressed by
a correct amount. The trigger which keeps the spring compressed is
release during the collision. Its elastic energy is used to stop the 2 kg
block and to push the 1 kg block to the right at v=1 m/s. Or it can be
a source of chemical energy , such as nitroglycerine, in right amount.

Sorry for typing without investigating this in depth. Perhaps this is
not possible without violating some laws.

Richard Tarara wrote:

Well I still can't imagine how to accomplish such a collision in real life.
Sure you can make up such a problem and put it at the end of the chapter,
but this is just the kind of thing to which I thought Leigh has been
objecting (despite his 'nasty' note on this)--problems with no meaning. If
someone can explain a simple mechanism for such a collision, I'll slink
away quietly. ;-(