Re: Ancient Premise

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:28:02 -0500 Karl Trappe
<trappe@PHYSICS.UTEXAS.EDU> wrote:

Does anyone know the resource for this ancient premise. I learned it in a
high school symbolic logic class. I have also observed the side effects of
starting with it as an assumption in dealings between co-workers, ie,
looking for the false premise in order to disagree with all which followed.
I found that to be very damaging to constructive interactions, or even to
just *hearing* the other person.

When Sheila Tobias visited the University of Texas at Austin, and spoke on
"They're not dumb, they're different", many of my colleagues looked for the
false premise and never heard the message. I'd like to revisit the context
of the quote, as it may explain a lot of our social interactions (or lack
thereof) as scientists. Karl

I don't know the origin of the rule, but I seem to recall this form of
logic dates back to Leibniz. I'm not a professional philosopher, so I'm
relying on what I learned way back when.

The rule I learned from sentential logic (logic without quantifiers
like "there is at least one critter..." or "for all critters that ...")
is "A false premise guarantees a true proposition." This does not
mean that "A false premise guarantees a true conclusion." There is no
guarantee regarding the truth or falsehood of the conclusion in
conjunction with the premise.

In symbolic form, a premise A is joined with a conclusion B into a
proposition: if A, then B. One could work out the truth table based on
the rules of implication, but in sentential logic, the proposition is
equivalent to (.not.A).or.B . In this form, its easier to see that if A
is false, then the proposition (.not.A).or.B is true, regardless of the
truth value of B.

I agree with you that there are many possiblities for abuse of this
rule.

Regards,
Jim
Jim Diamond Chemistry Department McMinnville, OR 97128
jimd@linfield.edu Linfield College (503)-434-2471