Re: work done by friction

I immediately grabbed my copy of Aron's book, which sits next to my computer
terminal in easy reach and.

See also Arons "A Guide to Introductory Physics Teaching"
page 128 and
Sherwood and Bernard "Work and heat transfer in the presence of static
friction" AJP, 1984, pp1001-1007.

It makes for good reading!!! interestingly enough, and I quote from page
122,

" . . . Trouble arises because work and heat are forms of energy that are
*transferred* across *boundaries* of a system, . . . "

The boldfacing are Aron's (actually italicized in his book).

Presumably Aron didn't get the message about energy flow. ;-)

A little fuel for the discussions.

Joel