Re: Newton's 3rd law? was Re: inertial forces (definition)

Hi Bob-
The difference is that the first <may> indicate a numerical
equality but need not, because it is a definition; the second <only>
indicates a numerical equality.
You seem to have ignored the part of my comment that emphasises
that the two sides of the second equality are independently measurable.
You caviled:
Hi Jack,
Yes, but they both indicate a numerical equality.
That was the question.
***********************
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography