Re: Energy as ability to do work

Your block (see below) did gain an "ability" (Serway calls it "capacity")
equal to 10 joules of work. In practice you can not get 10 J of work out
of the block (thinking in terms of a Carnot engine) unless the c*m of
the block is approaching zero, or unless a zero K sink is available.

But conversions of heat into work (sorry for using forbidden words) is
not the issue. Mechanical energy is introduced when we are dealing with
bullets, springs, pulleys and satellites. At this level a traditional definition

of energy as "an ability to do work" can be as useful as the concept of
frictionless motion of a hockey puck. I am in favor of continuation of
introducing work before energy. Poj thinks that energy can be introduced
without first defining work. I am waiting for his reply to my three
questions (asked yesterday). Perhaps I will be convinced of advantages
of the alternative approach.
Ludwik Kowalski