Re: Energy before work" (was work done by friction)

I tried to start this thread several times (after being exposed
to the idea of teaching energy before work at the modeling
workshop in Arizona, years ago) but nobody responded.
Is it possible, and desirable, to introduce the concept of
energy before the concept of work? Leigh goes one step
further, if I understand him correctly, and suggests the
total elimination of the concept of work.

I didn't know that David Hestenes made this an important point
in his modeling. Needless to say, he is a very bright fellow,
and of course he would approach it that way. I can't imagine
how to do it otherwise. Hecht gets this right; he introduces
energy first.

No, I don't advocate abandoning the concept of work. I always
introduce energy before work, using Feynman's Chapter four as
the first item of business. I read the parable of Dennis and
his blocks to them in it entirety. Work is introduced later as
separate topic. I *never* touch what I consider to be a
damaging definition of energy as "the capacity to do work". I
consider it to be as odious as the definition of entropy as a
measure of the disorder of a system. Both definitions are, so
far as I understand the concepts, simply *wrong*.

The energy is a function of the state of a system.

Leigh