Re: work done by friction

At 05:47 PM 10/25/99 +1000, Brian McInnes wrote:

John, you have missed the point I was making. I'm claiming (as does
Arons in his "Guide to Introductory Physics Teaching.") that that no
work is done by the frictional force when A and B are in contact and
are moving relative to one another and, as usually happens, a
frictional force is present.

I know that's what the claim is. I don't care how many experts claim it.

The claim is not correct.

Consider the frictional situation as illustrated in
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/how/htm/4forces.html#fig_table_friction
as opposed to non-frictional situation in
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/how/htm/4forces.html#fig_table_pressure

Suppose for present purposes that the table in the figure is initially at
rest. Then I suddenly wipe my hand along the tabletop in the direction
shown in the figure.

Guess what? The table starts to move.

Where did this kinetic energy come from? I claim the only place it could
possibly have come from is from the frictional force which did work on the
table.

I'll say it again: this is a situation where

A and B are in contact and
are moving relative to one another and, as usually happens, a
frictional force is present.

and the claim that

no work is done by the frictional force

is totally, clearly, inescapably false.

This disproof is independent of the microscopic nature of the frictional
interaction between the hand and the table.

Now for some additional minor points:

The friction mechanism involves cold welds being made and broken and
materials being abraded away.

Hmmm, that's another story about friction that is often repeated but is
overstated at best. That statement is only valid for a certain subtype of
friction.

By way of counterexample, the bearings in an engine depend on a layer of
sticky oil to *prevent* metal-to-metal contact. When I do spectroscopic
analysis of the oil I do not usually find metal in the oil -- not at a
level consistent with the "cold welding" model of friction. I'll put it
this way: if analysis ever *does* show significant metal in the oil of an
aircraft engine, the aircraft is grounded, because it usually means a
bearing or something has failed.

A pushing force would do work because
the boundary it is pushing against undergoes a displacement.

Agreed. Pushing is what is illustrated in
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/how/htm/4forces.html#fig_table_pressure
and we agree that's not what we normally call friction.

The
frictional force is the sum of many, many forces that are localised in
position,

I'm not 1000% sure what "localized" means in this context but I strongly
suspect that (as stated in my previous note) this is the root of the
problem. I suspect this assertion is tantamount to the groundless
assumption that the hand in figure
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/how/htm/4forces.html#fig_table_friction
is not moving relative to the frame in which the energy is being evaluated.

Widening this contribution, I call attention to the recent paper by H
Thomas Williams (AJP, 67, Aug 99, p670-680) entitled "Semantics in
teaching introductory physics". Williams writes in the abstract, "The
large vocabulary of words we use for precise purposes in physics
contains many words which have related but potentially confusing
meanings in everyday usage. A surprising number of words we use
frequently are not used consistently in the language of introductory
textbooks."

I agree with that!

Not surprisingly "weight" is one of the words he nominates as having a
technical use in physics that is at odds with common, everyday
definitions AND which is not used consistently within the physics
community. Other such words he discusses are "accelerate", "force",
"power", speed", "tension", "velocity", "dynamics", equilibrium",
"impulse", "mass", "motion", and "particle".

We might add "is" to the list :-)

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com