Re: Newton's 3rd law? was Re: inertial forces (definition)

It seems that the real physics comes in when we make an interpretation
that goes beyond the manipulation of equations. For instance, when we
realize that under some circumstances work is path independent and invent
(notice I don't say discover) various forms of potential energy or when we
relate work done by a path dependent force (such as friction) to changes in
internal energy.

Ah, but in the model I use (as does Arons and as does Knight)
frictional forces do not do work. They are localized and do not move
with the body and so the line integral of the frictional force is
zero. The frictional forces are the means whereby kinetic energy is
reduced and thermal energy increased.

Brian McInnes