Re: Newton's 3rd law? was Re: inertial forces (definition)

Dear Bob-
Not so fast, my friend:
You write
The centripetal component of the acceleration is v^2/r .
The centripetal component of the net force is mv^2/r .
***************************
Au contraire. The quantity mv^2/r is the mass times the acceleration
which is numerically equal to the applied force (contact or one of the forces
that act at a distance).
You also comment, with which I agree:
As to what is shown in any particular diagram, that is purely a matter of
convention and personal convenience.
One man's fbd may be another man's notes.
********
However --- students who use the convention that I alluded to will
receive full credit (for what I think is good reason) on an AP exam.

Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography