Re: Aurorae?

Chuck Britton wrote:

Those of you in the more northern climes may get to see some good
light shows now?

I live in Winnipeg - on the western edge where city lights are not too
much of a problem for sky viewing. Last night I got home at about 10:00
p.m. and was struck by a brilliant shimmering band that stretched almost
straight overhead from the western to eastern horizon. (Normally I see
them at more of a 50 degree or so elevation in the northern sky.) I was
so impressed that I brought my wife out to see. She shivered for about
30 seconds and then headed back in - I guess its not for everybody.
This morning though, I got up and went out at 6:15 and the curtains
stretched not only from nearly overhead, but also well off into the
northern sky (I opted not to wake my wife). A good fraction of the
northern half of the sky was taken up in shimmering curtain effects. I
haven't seen the like before except in the Yukon. Unfortunately,
tonight is cloudy.

So how did you know they would be putting on a good show?

Doug Craigen
Latest Project - the Physics E-source
http://www.dctech.com/physics/